TOP TIPS Underperforming staff - what can I do?
When you think about the problems that your practices can face due to staff underperformance, do you imagine that the issues in question are likely to be created when you recruit the wrong person? After all, the process of finding the right member of staff can be tricky, and there are many things that you need to do to ensure that you’re giving individuals everything they need to hit the ground running.
But what if you have a member of staff who has been with you for quite a while, and has always made a solid contribution, but you suddenly start to notice that their performance is slipping?
Many Practices have many long serving members of staff, some of which can be difficult to manage. It is important to treat all employees the same way, this includes new and old. It is vital to be consistent with your employees.
These circumstances present a unique set of challenges, and if you find yourself in this situation, it’s really important that you know exactly what to do to address the problems and get things back on the right track.
- Have a policy to manage underperforming employees
- Train your managers
- Be consistent with all employees
- Communication – talk and listen
- Address your concerns
- Back up your thoughts with facts and examples as evidence
- Record information, why and when (you never know when you will need it
- Regular reviews, if needed
- Let people know you are monitoring them
- Follow through with your policy if it is required
- IMPORTANT...If you are not happy with an employees’ performance – take action.
For our full article on this topic by guest blogger Louise Kennedy at Oculus HR, email email@example.com